Safety Tip of the Week
Stop A Wildfire Before It Starts
As a motorcycle enthusiast, you can do your part to prevent wildfires. Use these precautions:
- Chains and other metal parts throw sparks when they drag. Check your motorcycle to be sure nothing hits the ground.
- Driving on an exposed wheel rim can also throw sparks. Be sure to check your tire pressure every time you ride.
- Never park on dry grass or brush. A hot exhaust pipe can set dry vegetation on fire.
- Don’t let your brake pads get too thin lest the metal-on-metal give off sparks.
- Dirt bikes always need spark arresters on the muffler. Rules for forestland may require that motorcycles also have them. In any case, a General Purpose spark arrester is a cheap, easy preventive measure to keep sparks from exhaust.
- Keep the exhaust system, including the spark arrester, and the engine in good working order and free of carbon buildup.
- Use the recommended grade of fuel for your motorcycle and don’t overfill it.