Safety Tip of the Week
Keeping Your Cool This Summer
Riding in very hot weather presents unique challenges. To keep safe, you’ll want to:
- Be alert for signs of heat exhaustion and even heat stroke. We wrote about those in an earlier blog.
- Bring plenty of water, more than you think you’ll need. Riding in heat causes your sweat to evaporate more quickly than when you’re sitting still. You need to drink more to compensate.
- Be sure your skin is covered. Again, it’s that evaporation problem. If your skin is covered, your sweat cannot evaporate as fast, and you’ll stay cooler and better hydrated. For a reminder, consider the Arabian Bedouin who live and work in the desert and keep covered from head to toe.
- A cooling vest can be a real life-saver. Eagle Leather stocks headbands, vests, and other gear to help you keep cool. Find them here.
- Schedule frequent stops, about a half-hour apart, to give yourself a chance to cool down in the shade or in the air conditioning and to re-hydrate.
Have fun riding this summer and keep cool.